On 10/10/2015 05:34 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:

> It is no secret that I don't care about "hats" :)
> If someone is right, he's right, a QA hat doesn't make something wrong
> magically right. Also, if you'd ask me, QA should be more about Quality
> Assurance, meaning training people, writing docs, fixing trivial
> stuff, helping devs to improve; which implies reviewer project fits
> perfectly. "you must do this" statements shouldn't even be needed, and
> are completely useless in a volunteer-based project anyway :)

QA has the right to remove commit access, so I'm not sure I agree. But I
certainly don't think this is anything important for the Reviewers
project, since the goal is not to remove peoples commit access, but to
teach each other. So I also don't see why we should be affiliated with
the QA project. Since the only difference would be that said power,
which I am not interested in.

In addition, conflicting projects are explicitly allowed in Gentoo as
per GLEP 39, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:39#Specification

>> This is just a concept of peer-reviewing, which was very difficult in
>> CVS times.
>
> I fail to see how post-commit reviews are made easier with git.

Quite offtopic, but we could discuss this off-list if you want.

> [...]
>>> Also, you should probably focus on what's really important: reviews
>>> like "this is weird, care to explain?" or stylistic nitpicks are
>>> just a waste of every one time, meaning more important stuff does
>>> not get done.
>>>

>> 'has_version' (which you are probably referring to) as a conditional
>> for sedding headers is more than just "weird" and indicates a serious
>> build system bug that needs to be addressed properly.
>
> It indicates a conditional fix. Just as the code says.

It's a hack, not a fix. And as such, it is worth discussing.

> Before throwing
> an email to -dev ml, I would have expected a reviewer to do his homework
> and try to understand what the condition is, when it will be satisfied,
> and why this was conditional. There is absolutely nothing wrong about
> not knowing the answer, but using -dev ml for it is a bit spammy IMHO.

I did have a look. I was checking both packages (dev-libs/libcdio and
dev-libs/libcdio-paranoia) for the header and made up my own mind about
this. I was still wondering if the maintainer even knows what this is about.

So, maybe you should be more careful with throwing accusations around if
people did their homework or not ;)

And that is certainly something the reviewers will not do. For any given
review, it will be irrelevant who wrote the code.