Dnia 2015-10-11, o godz. 13:02:50
Manuel Rüger <mr...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> On 11.10.2015 10:29, Brendan Horan wrote:
> > ----- On 11 Oct, 2015, at 4:17 PM, wraeth wra...@wraeth.id.au wrote:

> >> I am one of the users who spoke to idella4 about this, but I wanted to
> >> repeat this publicly in order to highlight the point of view of
> >> contributing user as opposed to a developer.
> >>
> >> Firstly I would like to say that I appreciate feedback on my work - it
> >> helps me to improve the quality of my work both for Gentoo and personally.
> >>
> >> I also agree whole-heartedly to the concept of the Reviewers project, in
> >> that highlighting common improvements that could be made would benefit
> >> both contributors who participate and Gentoo as a whole.
> >>
> >> Having said that, however, I do not appreciate the method in which these
> >> criticisms were delivered, and believe it extends beyond the idea of
> >> the Reviewers project.
> >>
> >> I feel that it is inappropriate for criticisms of contributor's work to
> >> be broadcast on a mailing list that is read not only by the developer
> >> community, but by users as well, without their consent. This is not a
> >> case where I am particularly embarrassed or upset - if others can learn
> >> from my mistakes, then they are mistakes I am happy to make (preferably
> >> only once). But doing so publicly, with identifying information, is
> >> inappropriate.
> >
> > I will second your thoughts on this.
> > As a new proxy-maintainer I expect a lot of feedback, and I welcome
> > the idea of the reviewers project to help people like me out.
> >
> > However this could be a little off putting by just sending out to
> > a general mailing list. Maybe there is a better way to give this feedback?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brendan
> >

> It might be also worth to think about limiting the feedback to the
> actual patch that is included in a pull request or whatever is used as
> transport media.
> I have the feeling that some pull requests are accepted, after the
> package has been refactored or mistakes or deprecated styles former
> maintainers applied have been fixed. I'm not sure if new contributors
> like that kind of extra work to get their pull requests accepted or feel
> overloaded by the mass of comments some ancient ebuilds may produce.
>
> A reasonable compromise would be to split review into must-have and
> can-have feedback, of which must-have is limited to the issue a pull
> request urges to fix.

As far as I know, there was only one contributor complaining about
the extra review, and it was a particular person that reacted
aggressively to any kind of constructive criticism, so I wouldn't
consider him relevant.

I tend to make it clear which changes are important and which are not.
As you can see, there were pull requests accepted without all of
the issues being fixed or even with my personal fixes added on top.

However, I usually prefer to ask the contributor if he wants to improve
the ebuild. If he does, he gets extra kudos and improves his ebuild
skills. If he doesn't, he can at least look through the existing issues
not to repeat them in his own work.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny