On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:56:28 -0700
Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 1:17 AM, wraeth <wra...@wraeth.id.au> wrote:

> > I feel that it is inappropriate for criticisms of contributor's
> > work to be broadcast on a mailing list that is read not only by the
> > developer community, but by users as well, without their consent.
> > This is not a case where I am particularly embarrassed or upset -
> > if others can learn from my mistakes, then they are mistakes I am
> > happy to make (preferably only once). But doing so publicly, with
> > identifying information, is inappropriate.
>
> Good grief. Seriously?
>
> Mailing list review is the *norm* in the free software world.

Oh, the norm
> I haven't seen anything noted that should have caused embarrassment.

Nor I.
> This whole thing, as far as I can see, is about improving the quality
> of Gentoo. I have learned from the reviewers reviewing my commits and
> the commits of others.

The you haven't been embarrassed or demeaned or nitpicked. So far. Good.
> It's extremely valuable to do this in public
> and the idea that noting an error on a public mailing list is somehow
> bad is simply misguided.

You throw your opinion on that of a user offering his personal
reaction. What do you want here? Users to comply to your perspective
and fit in? Users to tough out the exposure to full public view even if
they don't like it?

Once and for all this is a review put onto recipients whether they
wanted it or not without their request or consent. A key aspect of
learning is that the informative experience be made a positive one.
This user is not alone. These self appointed educators have background
in technical prowess and that's all. Quite simply, dishing out lessons
that make users cringe and recoil is counter productive. This exercise
is about educating, so these educators had better get their heads
around some the fundamental requirement to command respect from their
target audience. To date they have managed to deliver their product as
they see fit. Now they get the feedback that follows from delivering
their lessons.

These educators have already started to learn some lessons of their
own. An intrinsic aspect of the flow of teaching / educating is the
impact of teacher behaviour upon their learners and a teacher's
responsibility as an educator to deal with it productively. What's
happening here? Teacher says take it because I gave it to you,now be
quiet ?

This is not a captive audience. It's an immediately convenient one.
Educators snubbed by their students are not educators. At least not
effective ones.  These students are so by nature of their own
voluntary participation. They have the option of rejecting these
lessons at their whim.

--
kind regards

Ian Delaney