On 11/01/2015 01:16 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Ahoi,
>
> I'm getting mildly very irritated with the lack of easily accessible
> ChangeLogs for our packages.
>
> Apparently updating them stopped some time in August, so now there are
> some outdated ChangeLogs that don't really serve any purpose, and the
> easiest way for users to figure out why something changed is to yell at
> the clumsy gitweb.g.o interface. So instead of grep we now need lots of
> patience.
>
> This does not look reasonable to me.
>
> Can we please either properly remove ChangeLogs and tell people to not
> be curious about changes, or make them useful again?

ChangeLogs are a deprecated and unreliable method of the times we were
still on CVS. E.g. some people didn't find it useful to add ChangeLog
entries when they did large eclass changes. This problem is gone now.

git log -- app-misc/foo
or
git log -- eclass/autotools.eclass

will give you _any_ commit that has touched that file/directory, even if
it was part of a huge mass commit.

There's really not much ChangeLogs add for you here, except duplicating
git functionality. It's more useful to familiarize yourself with git
log. There's no reason to depend on the gitweb interface.

If you want the history from before the migration to work with that as
well, you can use this method:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Grafting_Gentoo_History_Onto_the_Active_Repo

Also see
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/git-log/filtering-the-commit-history