On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 14:33:07 +0100
hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> git log -- app-misc/foo
> >> or
> >> git log -- eclass/autotools.eclass
> >>
> >> will give you _any_ commit that has touched that file/directory,
> >> even if it was part of a huge mass commit.
> >
> >  $ cd /usr/portage/app-admin/rex/; git log
> > fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
> >
> > sooo ... ???
> >

> You shouldn't use rsync anymore, it is inherently insecure. The git
> tree is _properly_ gpg signed so you can verify it's correctness.
>
> With the following portage configuration/hooks, any user can run the
> tree directly from git:
> https://github.com/hasufell/portage-gentoo-git-config

More secure by fetching metadata cache via rsync ?
Better by running egencache after each sync ?
I don't think so.

> At some point, rsync schould be deprecated completely.

Considering the original plan was to have changelogs auto-generated
from git and still serving the tree via rsync, where's the relevant
discussion and decision about this?

There's no technical reason for not doing this *today*, the only reason
not to is the lack of decision and concrete plan on how to properly
serve what is in the rsync'ed tree and not in gentoo.git.

Until then, we are serving outdated and useless changelogs via rsync
and Patrick's point still holds: Either remove them or serve proper
ones.

Alexis.