On 11/01/2015 02:28 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:

>> ChangeLogs are a deprecated and unreliable method of the times we were
>> still on CVS. E.g. some people didn't find it useful to add ChangeLog
>> entries when they did large eclass changes. This problem is gone now.
> ... ?!??!#??$>@%%*%**%@!!!
>
> From the point of view of a user ChangeLogs are VERY VERY USEFUL.
>
> Why would you claim they are deprecated?

Because they are unreliable and we have a better method.

>> git log -- app-misc/foo
>> or
>> git log -- eclass/autotools.eclass
>>
>> will give you _any_ commit that has touched that file/directory, even if
>> it was part of a huge mass commit.
>
>  $ cd /usr/portage/app-admin/rex/; git log
> fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
>
> sooo ... ???

You shouldn't use rsync anymore, it is inherently insecure. The git tree
is _properly_ gpg signed so you can verify it's correctness.

With the following portage configuration/hooks, any user can run the
tree directly from git:
https://github.com/hasufell/portage-gentoo-git-config

At some point, rsync schould be deprecated completely.