On 01/26/2016 02:52 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> All,
>
> TL;DR: I think we should switch from DTD to RELAX NG (compact syntax,
> ideally) for our XML validation needs. It is more expressive and more
> readable.

A great idea.

> What other stuff would need to be updated?

I would appreciate examples of some common tasks like validating
projects.xml, but since we don't have those now, it's not critical.
This used to be kinda straightforward with xmllint,

  $ xmllint --valid --noout projects.xml && echo "OK"

but now that www.gentoo.org is on HTTPS, even that doesn't work. There's
an example in the devmanual that needs updating along those lines (at
the bottom of the page). In fact, all of the herds junk needs to be updated:

  https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/metadata/

Our DTDs are available under https://www.gentoo.org/dtd/ -- do we need
to put the rnc files somewhere accessible? Or do we only need the DTDs
public for the DOCTYPE declarations?

Thanks for preemptively hacking repoman.