On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> But libxml2 does not seem to support it; that is, substituting the
>> DOCTYPE for an xml-model processing instruction and then using xmllint
>> --valid does not do the right thing (it complains there's no DOCTYPE).
>
> But does it /complain/ about the xml-model? Is it safe to add that to
> our XML files (in terms of tooling and stability of the spec)? If so, I
> can at least script the validation: parse the href from xml-model, fetch
> it somehow, run it through rnc2rng, and then pass it to xmllint.

It does not seem to complain about the xml-model, so that should be
quite viable.

Can I ask what your interest is? What tools are you involved with that
would want to use this?

> Or we could even generate the rng files automatically and host them like
> we do the DTDs to skip a step.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Too bad that we have to drag around
both, but I think the advantages in terms of readability and
modifiability for RNC and tool support for RNG really do make it the
best solution to have canonical RNCs with pre-generated RNGs.

Cheers,

Dirkjan