On 10 February 2016 at 02:14, Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Another concern, though, is it'd result in something similar. Instead
> of "cat/foo bar baz" and later removing 'baz', you'd have "cat/foo bar
> ~baz" (with '~baz' as 'enable this if you need to'). You'd still have
> cruft left in your p.use file, and it would achieve the same result as
> a well-commented file.

Granted you'd still have the cruft in your config files, but it would
become mostly-harmless cruft, not cruft that caused needless
dependencies to get pulled into the dependency tree as a side-effect.

And because it would be "only as needed", you could afford to use some
of those "only if needed" useflags in a more global manner.

For instance, I really don't want to globally define PYTHON_TARGETS to
include python2_7, because it will simply install a lot of extra
things I know I don't need.

But if I could globally define something to the effect of "anything
that wants python2.7 support can have it", then that's acceptable
globally, because the effect would still turn things on automatically
on a per-page level, not at a global level.

So you could achieve the same results with much less syntax and much
less effort.

--
Kent