On 02/09/2016 05:19 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 10 February 2016 at 02:14, Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> Another concern, though, is it'd result in something similar.
>> Instead of "cat/foo bar baz" and later removing 'baz', you'd have
>> "cat/foo bar ~baz" (with '~baz' as 'enable this if you need to').
>> You'd still have cruft left in your p.use file, and it would
>> achieve the same result as a well-commented file.
>

> Granted you'd still have the cruft in your config files, but it
> would become mostly-harmless cruft, not cruft that caused needless
> dependencies to get pulled into the dependency tree as a
> side-effect.
>
> And because it would be "only as needed", you could afford to use
> some of those "only if needed" useflags in a more global manner.
>
> For instance, I really don't want to globally define PYTHON_TARGETS
> to include python2_7, because it will simply install a lot of
> extra things I know I don't need.
>
> But if I could globally define something to the effect of
> "anything that wants python2.7 support can have it", then that's
> acceptable globally, because the effect would still turn things on
> automatically on a per-page level, not at a global level.
>
> So you could achieve the same results with much less syntax and
> much less effort.

I can certainly see the benefit here, but wouldn't that still result
in (arguably) unnecessary (re)builds? If implemented well it'd also
result in depcleaning them when they're later unneeded, too, so I
guess it's a wash in that sense.

Again, I'm not against it. In fact I'd probably use it, because some
packages are really picky. I just don't know how well it would fit
into the existing design at the code level.

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6