Michael Palimaka posted on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 05:23:03 +1000 as excerpted:

> The default in KDE 4 was KDM, with lightdm and sddm also supported.
>
> We included information about migrating away from KDM because it's no
> longer developed or supported and in some cases fails to work with
> Plasma 5 at all.
>
> lightdm continues to work fine with Plasma 5 so there's no special need
> to replace it.

For clarity, then, why not add a single sentence similar to this (reword
if appropriate):

KDE 4 also supported lightdm and sddm, and users configured to use those
display managers can continue to use them without reconfiguration.

Also, a word for users who can't use a desktop/* profile at all, because
they are for instance using a no-multilib (or x32 or hardened or
whatever) profile and the desktop profiles aren't available as options
there, would be appropriate.  Because right now you (as the gentoo/kde
project) are pretty much leaving these users who can't or simply don't
want to use the plasma profile, for whatever reason, to their own devices
out in the unguided cold.

Tho in the news item I'd suggest simply referring them to the upgrade
guide, and ensure the subject is covered in more detail there.
Unfortunately, it's not covered there at all, ATM.

That "more detail" in the upgrade guide could be to simply say to check
the USE flags in (default path)
/usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/plasma/make.defaults, and consider
setting similar USE flags manually.  And similarly the package.use file
in the same location, for individual packages.

Whether and how you want to describe the effect of policykit in
use.force, since these users will obviously not be getting that force as
they can't use that profile, is up to you.  It's already in the
make.defaults USE list as covered above.  Maybe that's enough.

Meanwhile, one final sentence referring back to the upgrade guide if
there are problems may also be useful:

The upgrade guide contains further troubleshooting and solutions hints,
should you run into problems.

(Much as I hate servantware such as skype, the hint on that may well be
totally unintuitive for many of its gentoo/kde users, for instance.  BTW,
is that still valid advice given the plasma-desktop sni embedding, now?)