On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 09:28:44PM +0200, Hans de Graaff wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 10:58 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > it looks like app-emulation/docker expects /etc/hostname to exist.
>
> Is there a bug for this? docker seems to work fine for me on a system
> without this file present.

Ok, now for the clarification.

Someone here at the office was wanting a cross-platform way to find out
the hostname of the host the container is running on inside the
container. We made another suggestion for that, so forget about the
docker angle on this for now.

But, /etc/hostname is a multi-distro standard for where the hostname is
located, so I would like to make openrc prefer it over the setting in
/etc/conf.d/hostname if it exists.A

I suppose whether we populate it by default might be a separate
question.

William