On 08/22/2016 03:09 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 09:28:44PM +0200, Hans de Graaff wrote:
>> On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 10:58 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> it looks like app-emulation/docker expects /etc/hostname to exist.
>>
>> Is there a bug for this? docker seems to work fine for me on a system
>> without this file present.
>
> Ok, now for the clarification.
>
> Someone here at the office was wanting a cross-platform way to find out
> the hostname of the host the container is running on inside the
> container. We made another suggestion for that, so forget about the
> docker angle on this for now.
>
> But, /etc/hostname is a multi-distro standard for where the hostname is
> located, so I would like to make openrc prefer it over the setting in
> /etc/conf.d/hostname if it exists.A
>
> I suppose whether we populate it by default might be a separate
> question.
>
> William

Changing the way one configures the hostname because one or a few
packages A) need this knowledge, and B) hardcode /etc/hostname is not
worth changing the canonical way to update it and getting people to
change their habits.

It makes a bit more sense to rely on previous configuration
(/etc/conf.d/hostname) and write a tiny 'script' that populates
/etc/hostname. bash could do it (naively) in two lines:

source /etc/conf.d/hostname
echo "$hostname" > /etc/hostname

The 'multi-distro standard' is du jour at best and imo not a compelling
reason to follow.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net