On 26/10/16 04:49 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 13:15, William Hubbs wrote:
>>> take any action for this news item.

>>> POSSIBLE. Your system will become unbootable in the future if you do
>>> not  do so.
>>>
>>> Err, what is changing that will make systems unbootable?
>>>
>>> I am fairly certain systems running systemd will continue to work
>>> properly with either syntax.
>>
>>  They probably will.
>>
>>> If this is about the udev-settle issue for OpenRC, I would urge you to
>>> reconsider that.
>>
>>  There isn't anything to reconsider afaik. The problem is that
>>  /dev/disk/by-* are only created by udev/eudev, but the other syntax
>>  works regardless of which device manager  you use, so this is the safer
>>  route.
>>
>>  William
>>

> I take it us museum relics still using jurassic-era device names like
> /dev/sd* or /dev/md* aren't affected by this?

That's correct -- the kernel's 'devtmpfs' creates those ones, whereas
the /dev/disk/by-* symlinks (pretty well all symlinks in /dev i think,
actually) are generated by udev rules.

Actually, I wonder if the /dev/[vgname]/[lvname] paths would be
affected by this too -- those are symlinks to the actual nodes in
/dev/mapper/ after all, and are created by 11-dm-lvm.rules

> Cthulhu-forbid Linux device
> naming gets any more complicated than using UUID's.  What's next, saving the
> serial numbers of discovered disks in an overly-complicated key/value-based
> non-SQL database format?

You mean all the /run/udev/data/b*:* files? :)