On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:49:14 +1000
"Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wra...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I have trouble remembering what I ate for dinner last night, let alone
> what I may or may not have merged a week, month or year ago, or what
> options I used when merging it.

And if you used --oneshot, it is also saying you are not maintaining
your system or ever running --depclean. Since anything you installed
via --oneshot would be removed with --depclean.

> > What harm does a warning do?
>
> Depends on the user, which can't really be avoided, but means that
> warnings should be clear and meaningful, otherwise they become
> background noise.

The example in the bug is as clear is it can get.

!!! 'sys-devel/gcc' is a dependency of another package on your system
or
!!! 'sys-devel/gcc' is a package not found in system profile or world
or
!!! 'sys-devel/gcc' may not have been installed by you
or
some other message....

> Such as:
>
> emerge --unmerge dev-python/keyring
>  * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer,
> use
>  * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies
> before
>  * removing packages.

Didn't you just say something about meaningful output vs noise? That is
always outputted and ends up becoming what you are saying. Funny!

> >> or may have been installed as an orphan but is now a
> >> dependency.
> >
> > Now being a dependency the warning would be valid.
>
> "Sometimes being accurate" is not the most noble of goals.

What?

> So the idea is to duplicate the functionality of '--depclean
> <package>

NO!!!

emerge --depclean gcc

is not the same as

emerge --umerge gcc

Depclean the user is cleaning things they are not aware of. Unmerge the
user is removing something directly. They may think they do not need it.

>' without actually checking to see if the package is a
> dependency,

Word it how ever. If the user did not install, they should be warned on
removal of a package they did not install.

> only whether it is listed in a set; or to check if it's a
> dependency of /something/ and, if so, redirect the user to the
> command they should be using anyway?

You mean like emerge --unmerge does already that you pointed out
above. After mentioning useful messages vs noise.  Again funny!

--
William L. Thomson Jr.