Title: sys-kernel/hardened-sources removal
Author: Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) <klond...@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: sys-kernel/hardened-sources

As you may know the core of sys-kernel/hardened-sources have been the
patches published by Grsec.

Sadly, their developers have stopped making these freely available [1].
As a result, the Gentoo Hardened team is unable to keep providing
further updates of the patches, and although the hardened-sources have
proved (when using a hardened toolchain) being resistant against
certain attacks like the stack guard page jump techniques proposed by
Stack Clash, we can't ensure a regular patching schedule and therefore,
the security of the users of these kernel sources.

Because of that we will be masking the hardened-sources on the 27th of
August and will proceed to remove then from the tree by the end of
September. Obviously, we will reinstate the package again if the
developers decide to make their patches publicly available again.

Our recommendation is that users should consider using instead
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources.

As an alternative, for users happy keeping themselves on the  stable
4.9 branch of the kernel minipli, another Grsec user, is forward
porting the patches on [2]. The Gentoo Hardened team can't make any
statement regarding the security, reliability or update availability
of those patches as we aren't providing them and can't therefore
make any recommendation regarding their use.

We'd like to note that all the userspace hardening and MAC support
for SELinux provided by Gentoo Hardened will still remain there and
is unaffected by this removal.

Finally we'd like to send a sincere thank you to Brad Spengler and
the PaX Team for making their hardening patches freely available all
this time.

[1] https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton.php
[2] https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec