Hi Michał,

Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> writes:

>> I am sure you are aware that Prefix has two variants: one is
>> prefix-rpath targeting MacOS, Solaris, AIX, Cygwin, Interix and a subset
>> of GNU/Linux; the other is prefix-standalone, targeting GNU/Linux and
>> Android/Linux.[1]
>>
>> For LLVM example, it is prefix-rpath, which hosts its own overlay at
>> repo/proj/prefix.git.  Besides LLVM there are other hacks at present in
>> the overlay.  But we still keep the ultimate goal of merging prefix.git
>> into gentoo.git.
>
> I am also keeping old versions of LLVM for Prefix team. That's why I'd
> really prefer to get rid of them and have them in some common overlay
> that all Prefix users can use.

Yes that's true. The case of LLVM for prefix-rpath is similar as glibc
for prefix-standalone.

For the argument of overlay refer to the message below vvv

>> What we are discussing in this thread, however, is prefix-standalone, it
>> uses the official gentoo repository without any overlay.  It works
>> perfectly for kernel-2.6.26+ and linux-3.2+.  So, creating an overlay of
>> 2 ebuilds for prefix-standalone is an overkill.
>
> Maybe it is. But isn't making maintenance of Gentoo packages more
> complexity for Prefix an overkill? We are effectively switching
> from trivial model of 'assign bug with X to maintainer' to checking
> which maintainer applies to which version of X.

I am on the toolchain alias, and I am interested in joining the project.
I will be responsible to deal with all the bugs for glibc-2.16 and
glibc-2.19.  Bug wranglers' work load does not change.

Yes, I apologize this will generate some noise for toolchain@g.o.  But I
anticipate people on the team are interested in receiving those emails.

Cheers,
Benda