On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I am in the same camp as Martin and James. I would rather see the issues
> fixed for the specific packages involved than us try to host tarballs
> for every package that doesn't create them.

++

If github didn't already provide a solution that works 95% of the time
I'd consider it more of a need.

And while a lot of people have issues with github, IMO this one part
of github is largely FOSS (they're just using git archive here).
Simply serving up git and git archive tarballs is something that could
be easily moved to another hosting provider if somebody stepped up to
offer the service.  If somebody were offering to build a homegrown
solution that would probably be fine, but I'm not really seeing
that...

--
Rich