On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:23 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
<chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Rich Freeman schrieb:
> >> Requirements:
> >>
> >> * Do not fail to build/install when a warning is encountered
> >
> > On a particularly critical package like a filesystem, wouldn't we want
> > to still fail to install when a warning is encountered?
>
> Installation will proceed, but the user will get a big fat warning that the
> sys-fs/zfs package is potentially broken.
>
> > I get that users might quit if packages don't install, but I'm not
> > sure that a filesystem corruption is going to make them any happier...
>
> If the user recognizes this as a critical package, then they can do the
> research before deciding on whether to use the package as is, attempt to
> downgrade, or wait until a fix is released.

But, you've ALREADY overwritten the previous version of the package
that presumably didn't have this problem.  What if downgrading doesn't
cause the problem to go away?  What if it is due to some dependency or
toolchain change?  Users would presumably want to roll back to the
binaries that were working just a few minutes ago, not build new ones
that might or might not have the same issue.

--
Rich