> On Sep 12, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
> <chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Rich Freeman schrieb:
>>> Requirements:
>>>
>>> * Do not fail to build/install when a warning is encountered
>> On a particularly critical package like a filesystem, wouldn't we want
>> to still fail to install when a warning is encountered?
>
> Installation will proceed, but the user will get a big fat warning that the
> sys-fs/zfs package is potentially broken.

The way that it works is that a user explicitly must enable USE=debug for
-Werror to apply. The package itself’s use of -Werror in USE=debug does not
prevent corruption issues so much as it detects them because the kernel code is
built in userspace. sys-fs/zfs-kmod is what matters for this. USE=debug does
not turn on -Werror there because we don’t inject it into the kernel build
system. If such a bug is detected and a user proceeds to use the rebuilt kernel
module, things could go poorly.

Anyway, I seem to have injected noise into the conversation by bringing this up
because the discussion is whether -Werror by default should be allowed. I only
commented because I felt that it should be an exception in the case of
USE=debug or an explicit USE flag for Werror (e.g. USE=Werror).