> It seems to me this will grow huge, and be the source of annoyance for
> users.

IIUC the file has a specific purpose, namely to solve the copyright
attribution problem. So only those entities who would otherwise add
themselves to ebuild headers must be listed there.

> There's a plausible opinion that today's Unixes will stay around
> forever:
> https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/unix/DurableCurrentUnixes

> And obviously Gentoo is the best flavour of them, so...

> Are there any long-lived community FOSS projects maintaining such
> file?

GNU Emacs:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/AUTHORS
They add everyone who has contributed, and after 33 years the file
has grown to 170 kB, which I think is still acceptable. We have some
Manifest files that are much larger.

So I don't think we would run into problems anytime soon, even if we
added everybody (which we shouldn't, IMHO).

Ulrich