On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:40:57AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:16 AM Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > Will that actually solve any problem, or just add another half-baked
> > solution with no benefit to the resulting status?  In other words, would
> > SIE suddenly stop requiring you to alter copyright in ebuilds?
>
> ++
>
> It makes sense to ensure that the solution actually solves the problem
> before we simply implement it.
>
> If we really need such a file it would probably also make more sense
> to have it auto-generated from git commit headers, which could use a
> standardized format.  This would actually provide more useful data
> around authorship/copyright than a generic file with a list of names
> anyway.  Certainly standards like SPDX should be leveraged.  These
> tags could be optional in git, but anybody who wants to use these tags
> could do so and tools that parse them could be created by those
> interested in this information.

My understanding is yes. SIE legal doesn't care where the copyright is
as long as it is there.

A good example of this file would be the one in the golang upstream
repo [1]. This file is not autogenerated and would only be updated as
requested when people or organizations want to add themselves.

I'm not sure auto generation is worth the work in this case since
there is very little overhead in maintaining the file. You just add a
person or organization when they request it. If they don't request it,
they don't care.

William

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/golang/go/master/AUTHORS