On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:39:10AM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:02 PM William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > Systemd already has IUSE=+sysv-utils which has a similar function:
> > > [-      ] sysv-utils
> > >     sys-apps/systemd: Install sysvinit compatibility symlinks and
> > >     manpages for init, telinit, halt, poweroff, reboot, runlevel, and
> > >     shutdown
> >
> > Actually, I like the name sysv-utils for this use flag; that seems to
> > describe better what it does.
> >
> > > RDEPEND="sysv-utils? ( !sys-apps/sysvinit )
> > >          !sysv-utils? ( sys-apps/sysvinit )"
> >
> >  I like this, but the second branch (!sysv-utils) is not really needed,
> >  because if we put sysvinit as the first RDEPEND of virtual/init, we
> >  don't need to worry about installing it through rdepend in openrc.
>
> To clarify why this strange looking dependency is there in
> sys-apps/systemd: I felt it was fairly important to always have init,
> shutdown, etc. available to avoid breaking other tools and to prevent
> confusion. systemd is technically usable without them, but you would
> need to explicitly set up your bootloader to add
> init=/lib/systemd/systemd to the kernel command line, and you would
> need to call systemctl directly instead of using the symlinks to shut
> the system down.

 Hey Mike,

 I just looked at the systemd ebuild a second time and see that that is
 what you have, I missed it my first look, so I suppose that I should do
 things in a similar way to what you are doing.

It would be worth discussing though, probably on another thread, the
merrits of virtual/init.

> Relying on any-of dependency ordering in a virtual package to
> accomplish this is a bit optimistic. That can go wrong easily if the
> user installs multiple providers.

Where it would break is if a user uses --depclean without paying
attention to what is happening on their system, but that can cause
unexpected breakages anyway, this is not a unique situation.

> > We can also add sys-apps/openrc as an rdepend of sys-apps/sysvinit possibly.
>
> Please do not do this without consulting me first. This could
> introduce a dependency conflict in sys-apps/systemd.

 I see that it could, so this might be a separate topic.

 William