On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:57 AM Andreas Sturmlechner <ast...@gentoo.org>
wrote:

> On Samstag, 7. März 2020 18:49:25 CET Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > Just the ebuild being outdated doesn't sound like a sufficient reason
> > for removal of a package, at least not for those packages that install
> > applications for the end user.
>
> They are python packages and as such they block cleanup of old python
> versions. Someone has to actually put effort into each of them to keep
> them
> alive.

I think the idea is that this is all implicit in the notification, rather
than being explicit, which muddles the messaging. I *suspect* that py3.6
will get dropped eventually as its no longer developed (but is security
supported by upstream through 2021.) If we just came out and said "Hey we
plan on dropping python-3.6 in X[0] months, here are a bunch of packages on
py-3.6, we need to either drop them or update them" the conversation would
be slightly different.

I also suspect the conversation did not go this way because then instead of
discussing who would maintain these packages, we would be discussing "why
python-3.6 should not be dropped until the last possible day in 2021" which
sounds reminiscent of python2 ;)

I think however, that we can do both. Python-3.6 will get removed
eventually; there are dozens of packages that need help and I don't think
it is incumbent on the python team to do all of the work, hence this thread
notifying folks that "hey if you use these packages they will need help to
stay around."

[0] We could all argue over some value of X; but on another thread please ;p