On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 11:29 +0000, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
> Hi Michał,
>
> On 3/27/20 5:59 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Stop here.  If you think that you need to 'break network sandbox', you
> > already have the wrong attitude and shouldn't continue.  Network sandbox
> > is not your enemy.  Using network is.
> >
> > Network sandbox protects users from paying extra because you've written
> > a bad ebuild that unexpectedly downloads lot of data on their mobile
> > connection.  Network sandbox makes sure that we don't end up delivering
> > stuff that doesn't work to people who are on isolated networks or simply
> > have non-permanent connections.  Network sandbox makes sure that these
> > ebuilds will work three months from now when upstream randomly decides
> > to remove old files or shuffle servers, or just get hits by a temporary
> > issue.
> >
> > There's no 'breaking the network sandbox'.  You must fix the ebuild not
> > to require Internet.
>
> That is an awesome concept for producing ebuilds, since I could be using
> dist-cc and compiling multiple profiles using dedicated computing
> cluster leveraging available resources within a sandbox with very
> restricted access. This is a very nice pattern on resource management.
> This is another reason why I like Gentoo very much, with the SQA
> assurance of the high quality rules, and persuade me to invest my time
> using this wonderful distro.
>
> I understand that network sandbox only restricts the build environment,
> but wouldn't the urls in SRC_URI be a problem when referencing sites
> that are not reliable? Shouldn't be relevant to define those sites that
> give better assurance for syncing the required binaries?

SRC_URI is well-defined, and that makes it possible for us and users to
develop consistent solutions.  We have Gentoo mirror network to increase
reliability when upstream servers fail.  Users can deploy local mirrors
to increase reliability further, improve throughput and make things work
in semi-isolated networks.

> Same question for unpack context when using directly the source
> repository with vcs functions.

VCS ebuilds generally suck, for multiple reasons.  We allow users to use
them but with minimal support.  However, e.g. git-r3 supports local
mirrors to resolve some problems.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny