On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 06:43:19 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Historically a lot of projects worked more like "tags" as an
> alternative way of grouping packages other than categories.  While
> tags are a great idea projects are a terrible way to implement them.

I was thinking perhaps instead of "group membership" oriented things,
we could instead have a "developer proficiency" oriented system.

Developers could choose skills from a defined list (like projects, but
finely grained)

Maybe with some WOT based proficiency rating thing.

Then maybe the project system becomes used mostly for "primary
ownership" of well maintained sets of things with great team structure,
and the proficiency system becomes a defacto fallback for everything
else.

Packages are tagged with the sort of skills required to maintain them
effectively, and people who have registered with said proficiencies get
CC'd into the bug (somehow) and similar things.

Like, for instance, when a package uses perl stuff, but isn't
inherently owned by perl@, I still care, but registering that I care is
tricky.

And then potentially packages with above "good maintainer-ship" could
indicate some sort of maintainer-ship grant to
"people with proficiency > X in Y".

Yes, I'm likely over-thinking everything here too much, but I suspect
somebody could get some inspiration from something here :)