On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 11:38:36PM +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020/08/08 22:57, William Hubbs wrote:

> >> William,
> >>
> >> With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
> >> systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
> >> That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.
> >
> > Eudev never became necessary unless you are using a non-glibc system,
> > and as I said, this can be handled in the profiles.
> > Udev  runs completely fine without systemd, so I fail to see how eudev
> > is necessary for most of Gentoo.
>
> It actually works is enough reason for me.  Was forced to migrate a
> bunch of systems not six months back from systemd-udev to eudev because
> systemd-udev is absolutely terrible w.r.t. race conditions resulting in
> lockups that kept forcing us into manual intervention situations.
> Mostly on systems with LVM.

I don't exactly know what your situation is, but as I said, this
proposal wouldn't affect your systems. I'm not talking about lastrites
for eudev, just making it the default for new installs.

> I'm completely against the proposal.
>
> >> I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the road
> >> to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.
> >>
> >> We had this discussion several years ago when the default became
> >> eudev. What's changed?
> >
> > If systemd folks do make udev inseparable from systemd, then we would
> > need eudev to be the default, but as I see it right now, there is not
> > a case for it being the default.
>
> Other than that it works and the systemd version does not.  Might be
> configuration dependent, but I don't expect a default udev
> configuration/system side to not cause LVM breakages when running
> commands as simple as "lvs".  eudev in coparison just works.

 I don't know what is going on with your systems, but I suspect possible
 configuration dependence.

When are the breakages happening-- just at random or during bootup?

William