On 2020-09-16 Wed 09:36, Jonas Stein wrote:
> The heart of a distribution is basically its infrastructure and the
> tools to test, maintain and distribute packages.
>
> If a distribution relies on external sources, which are not maintained
> by the distribution, but a single person, it has been forked.
>
> A healthy distribution needs to maintain its own tools.

Gentoo is quite free to mirror or fork various tools it deems critical
to itself. All this should require is poking your favorite infra contact
until they set it up. Beyond that, forcing recalcitrant upstreams to
move is futile since Gentoo has no leverage besides asking nicely.

Speaking for myself, I avoid hosting most of my Gentoo-related work
(outside of gentoo repo ebuild mangling) on gentoo.org since I prefer
the services offered elsewhere in terms of usability, visibility, and
project maintenance. Take this as constructive criticism of how Gentoo
currently operates as an upstream host and see it as a call for putting
more emphasis towards deploying GitLab, Gitea, or other similar service
for Gentoo.

Tim