On 11/26/20 5:57 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:

> I disagree here: Packages installing tmpfiles configs requiring
> recursive chown on each boot are doing something wrong fromĀ  my P.O.V.

No argument there, but me thinking they're wrong doesn't stop people
from doing it.

> Note that hardlinks aren't even fixed for systemd's tmpfiles provider.
> It will always rely on fs.protected_hardlinks for example. And checking
> for hardlinks like happened to address CVE-2017-18078 will create
> another TOCTOU race. Where is the follow-up report for this?

Systemd only supports Linux, and sets fs.protected_hardlinks=1 itself.
There's not much more we can ask from them.

I normally err on the side of caution, but if someone goes out of their
way to disable a security setting, I don't consider it CVE-worthy if the
thing that setting was preventing is now exploitable.

> In short: As long as it is possible for attacker to write to directory
> you are working on you can never do mentioned things in a safe way. You
> first have to revoke access for everyone except you and then you can
> start checking file per file... but *no* implementation is doing
> something like that.

This came up in the old (late 1990s, early 2000s) LKML discussions about
the protected_* sysctls. The Right Thing To Do is to drop privileges to
the user who owns the directory if you need to do stuff in a directory
that a user owns or can write to.

To quote your earlier message:

> Rule of thumb: Just make sure that you only create top level directories.

...and then drop privileges.