On 8/17/2021 07:40, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can I get feedback on the following news item?  (BTW, thanks soap)
>
> Title: uClibc-ng retirement on 2023/01/01
> Author: Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Profile: default/linux/uclibc/*
>
> uClibc-ng is mostly abandoned upstream, and since my RFC in Jan 2021,
> noone has volunteered to step up maintenance or expressed interest in
> the uClibc-ng profiles. With this announcement we last-rite the "uclibc"
> profiles, which will be removed on 2023/01/01. For parties interested in
> an alternative libc, consider moving to musl, which is supported.
>
> Gentoo continues to wholeheartedly support musl and is focusing its
> efforts in that area.
>
> Resources:
> - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_musl
> - https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/musl.git/ (overlay for patches)
> - #gentoo-hardened (IRC channel on irc.libera.chat) for support and
> discussion

According to the uClibc-ng website, 1.0.38 was released earlier this year
(March 27th).  Was an announcement put out somewhere about the project not
being maintained any further beyond that release, or has it gone quiet after
that?

I haven't been able to base a MIPS environment on uclibc-ng since 2019 when
Python3 in my stage3's mysteriously all started failing for unexplained
reasons.  Thought about trying to bootstrap a new environment from scratch
at some point, but just haven't gotten around to it.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic