Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 12:50 PM Eddie Chapman <ed...@ehuk.net> wrote:
>

>> if people want to run the damn thing just let them be!
>
> If you keep using eudev, and you don't tell anybody about it, then
> they won't even know.  Nobody is keeping anybody from using eudev. They're
> just not actively doing work to keep it working with changes in the repo.
> If you stop syncing the repo, or fix those issues
> yourself, or just avoid the use-cases that have issues, then you can use
> eudev forever.
>
> You could even publish an overlay and accept contributions from others
> who want to use eudev, so as to share the effort required to do so. You
> don't need anybody's permission to do so - all you need is a free git repo
> somewhere to sync from.  Being source-based, Gentoo is probably one of the
> easiest/most-practical distros out there to fork system-level packages on.

Not aiming this at you personally but this argument has been made more
than once in this thread and I personally don't think it carries any
weight, because it can be levelled at anyone who raises an issue about
anything. If you don't like it, then just go and roll your own. Of course
I know I (and anyone else) can do that. So then what's the point of
discussing anything then? What's the point of having a big tree with
hundreds of packages? Why not have a very minimal tree instead and let
everyone go and run multiple independent repos so we can all do what we
want? Then we wouldn't have any discussion about what to include and what
not. In fact maybe that's not a bad idea.