orbea <or...@riseup.net> writes:

>> Arsen meant incompatibilities of systemd-udev, not of eudev [1]. No
>> idea what's the current state of udev upstream is though. Alpine uses
>> musl, that's one of reasons why they are interested in eudev.

Indeed.

> Oh, thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding. After re-reading I don't
> know if eudev needs to be reforked, ...

It does.  It's been at least six years.  The current MO (which is to
wait for a problem then cherry pick or copy in a fix) is inefficient,
ineffective, and requires /known problems/ to reappear.

> ... missing functionality that downstreams are using can be added...

Doing this via reimplementation is a waste of effort.

> ... and otherwise focus on cleaning up and improving the code
> independently of systemd. For instance there is no reason that
> LibreSSL should refork OpenSSL.

These are apples and oranges.  OpenSSLs code is significantly worse than
systemd code.  There has also been no major improvement to code in eudev
over upstream counterparts.  I can point to one systemic issue in
systemd code (overuse of VLAs/alloca), which is actively being corrected
(but not in eudev, because it's on life support, rather than being
maintained).

Note that I'm not saying this as solely a Gentoo developer, I'm saying
this because I know what the state of the eudev project is and what it
takes to refork (since I've partly done so), and the advantages and
disadvantages of both the current approach and the one I suggest, and I
see _no_ reason to continue as the project does today.
systemd-utils[udev] is simply the easiest implementation of what I
preach.

Please attempt to bring eudev up to snuff via copying and cherry-picking
before setting your mind on continuing the status quo.  I guarantee that
less time would be spent reforking.  Supporting eudev will be clearly
useful only when that happens.

Have a lovely night.

--
Arsen Arsenović