I upgraded to gcc-3.3.6 today and when recompiling the drivers (kernel modules in the portage tree) I got some warnings and the modules fails to load:
* Updating module dependencies for 2.6.11-hardened-r15 ... WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/fs/fuse.ko needs unknown symbol __sta ck_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/fs/fuse.ko needs unknown symbol __gua rd WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wireless/ipw2200.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wireless/ipw2200.ko needs unknown symbol __guard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt_tkip.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt_wep.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko needs unkn own symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211_crypt_wep-r8180.ko need s unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211_crypt_wep-r8180.ko need s unknown symbol __guard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211_crypt-r8180.ko needs un known symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211_crypt-r8180.ko needs un known symbol __guard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211-r8180.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ieee80211-r8180.ko needs unknown symbol __guard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/r8180.ko needs unknown symbol __s tack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/r8180.ko needs unknown symbol __g uard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/rt2500.ko needs unknown symbol __ stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/rt2500.ko needs unknown symbol __ guard WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ath_pci.ko needs unknown symbol _ _stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ath_rate_onoe.ko needs unknown sy mbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ath_rate_amrr.ko needs unknown sy mbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wlan_xauth.ko needs unknown symbo l __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wlan_wep.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wlan_tkip.ko needs unknown symbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/wlan.ko needs unknown symbol __st ack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/net/ath_hal.ko needs unknown symbol _ _stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/usb/video/spca5xx.ko needs unknown sy mbol __stack_smash_handler WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.11-hardened-r15/usb/video/spca5xx.ko needs unknown sy mbol __guard [ ok ] * Adding module to moduledb. >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... >>> sys-fs/fuse-2.3.0 merged. So I guess there is something wrong with my gcc upgrade. I guess I need to do a proper toolchain upgrade? I have already compiled those (in specified order): gcc (3.3.5 -> 3.3.6) uclibc binutils But it still fails to find the SSP symbols. What can I do to fix it? Do I have to recompile the world? (like described in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/new-upgrade-to-gentoo-1.4.xml) Are there any shortcuts? # gcc-config -l [1] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.5-20050130-hardened [2] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.6 * [3] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.6-hardenednopie [4] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.6-hardenednopiessp [5] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.6-hardenednossp [6] i386-gentoo-linux-uclibc-3.3.6-vanilla -- Natanael Copa -- [email protected] mailing list
