On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 11:54:11AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 06:09, Brian Harring wrote:
> > We've pretty much ignored the minor, and abused the micro for both bug
> > fixing and feature inclusion.  Thoughts on using micro for _strictly_
> > bug fixes, and macro for features?
>
> I suggested this before, but it didn't go down too well...

Something I ixnayed/argued against?  If so ignore me- I'm a dumb ass
(this you should know already) ;-)

As stated below, the dead 2.1 release screws with things a bit- which
is about my only concern with fiddling with minor these days.

> > Yes we'll run aground of the dead 2.1 release (not incredibly happy
> > about that), but I'd like to see if we can get bug fixes out a bit
> > quicker, with some semblence of a gurantee we're not tagging in stuff
> > an admin isn't going to care about.
>
> What sort of bug fixes are you looking to get out quicker? While the EAPI
> stuff drew out .53 a little longer than originally expected it was still only
> 30 days from first rc to final (assuming _rc7 is final). I can't really see
> the necessity for getting non-regression fixes out "quicker". At the moment,
> a lot of fixes go out all at once rather than in lots of small bumps. I doubt
> the overall speed would change very much.

Question is how will it scale for non-bugfixes, disruptive changes
like cache backport, elog backporting, confcache, etc?  What I'm
concerned about is what's going to occur with .5x when large changes
start sliding into it (or into a minor)- basically the territory we're
wandering into right now with cache/exec refactoring for .54.
~harring