On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 05:24:06PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:49:02 +0100 Marius Mauch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> | And just in case anybody wonders: this cannot be fixed with EAPI or
> | adding a portage dep on packages as those only take effect when the
> | ebuild is already parsed while the mentioned problems occur much
> | earlier.
>
> Is it too late to switch to .ebuild.2, .ebuild.3 etc instead of making
> EAPI an internal variable?
Yes.

EAPI mechanism will work as long as the ebuild is still valid shell
(eclasses complicate this, but the upcoming eclass2 switch over is the
only issue).  EAPI isn't going to be 5 versions in 5 years, I'd expect
2-3 version a year.

Any time we extend the api of provided functions to the ebuild env, we
should be bumping EAPI so the ebuild is known to work.
~harring