On Wednesday 21 December 2005 01:57, Marius Mauch wrote:
> Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > Reasoning on checking all system atoms is that other groups are just as
> > likely to need the functionality as we are. Combining that with how
> > rarely versions are actually updated for system packages, it shouldn't
> > cause any more bother to users than it needs to.
>
> Well, that approach has one major problem: it won't help for profile
> changes (like the mess with the cascaded profiles).

Making the tree DEPEND on a specific portage version won't help either. If the
user doesn't have a profile, they have no ARCH or other important things
which means they can't use emerge.

> Also I don't see what "system" has to do with handling the tree itself, and
> for anything else people can add dependencies, or am I missing something
> here?

Doing it via system is more generic with no loss in functionality that I can
see. As I said above, the only time that not doing it in system would be
useful is if system itself is not available but profile problems imply that
one can't emerge anyway.

--
Jason Stubbs