> Whenever we want/need to make structural changes to the tree that are
> going to break backwards compability we have a serious problem
[...]

Just throwing random thoughts here, but

Would a rescue-portage help on this ?

What I'm meaning is a "binary" portage provided for each ARCH (that
install in /opt), it MUST be easily downloadable from every user.

May be portage in case of hard fail could do that automatically issueing
a message like:

* OOPS, could not include module X this mean portage system is utterly
broken.
* would you try to download a rescue portage?

The rescue-portage does not need to be a fully functional portage, it
need only to be able to install a newer portage and it's direct
dependancies.

Regards,
Francesco