On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When portage is installed with USE=doc enabled, you'll find that > there is a small "Ebuild Phase Hooks" section in the first chapter > of the html documentation. thx. I never bothered looking there as I have always assumed that would just install the handbook. I have seen rather complex uses of hooks, that's why I thought it would be harder to get started. On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Do not attribute to malice what can easily be attributed to laziness ;) yes sorry about that. Though I was not really all that lazy just made a really bad assumption. And if not the handbook this should really go into the portage manpage. bashrc If needed, this file can be used to set up a special environment for ebuilds, different from the standard root environment. The syntax is the same as for any other bash script. + One thing you can do here is define phase hooks. + A phase hook function name begins with a pre_ or post_ prefix to indicate that it will be called before or after one of the ebuild phases. The prefix is followed by the name of the ebuild function that the hook will be associated with. + For example, a hook named pre_src_compile will be called before src_compile, and a hook named post_src_compile will be called after src_compile. postsync.d should also be documented there. All in all now that I have looked at the documentation installed with portage I think it is obsolete. Not in the sense that it is outdated but everything in it is documented elsewhere already or should be moved there. II. Package Formats -> 2. Ebuild -> Ebuild Phases is already in the developer handbook and III. Quality Assurance -> 3. QA Notices should be moved to the developer handbook If some developers an the list agree with me and welcome me to do so then I could file a bug(s) for those changes. --Jonas -- [email protected] mailing list
