On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM, matt hull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

apple kernel ? that would be darwin. i think you mean linux kernel ?

Well, yes, it's a Linux kernel but named 'apple' I think. The
instructions you see when you boot from the Gentoo 2007.0 universal
install CD say to execute essentially one of these two commands:

boot: apple

or

boot: apple video=ofonly

when I boot without ofonly I get messed up text.

I've got OpenFirmware frame buffer, nvidia and ATI compiled in. EDID
also. The machine is acting like it's just not choosing them, assuming
the problem I'm seeing is the same one I see booting the kernel on the
install CD. How does one make the kernel choose or not choose the FB
at boot time? I'm familiar with doing this stuff in grub but this is
my first experience with yaboot.

My kernel is 2.6.24-gentoo-r3. It boots fine and the machine is
working great at least from an ssh session where I'm not looking at
this frame buffer stuff. that's fine for the next day or two as I let
it build stuff I might want to run on it.

Note that if it matters I had to use the 2007.0 CD since the current
ISO image for the 2008.0 beta is too large to fit on a 700MB CD-R, at
least according to K3b. I don't have any larger CD-Rs available right
now.

The processor in this machine is a 7447A, clock-1.5GHz. lspci says
it's a RV280 [Radeon 9200] graphics chip

if you have radeon why do you have nvidiafb comiled in ?

boot with these 3 combinations: ofonly, radeonfb, {none} then for each, cat /proc/fb and cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/name. if the screen is un readable, then ssh in and find out.

also, i assume you are using dvvi with that mac mini. i think those have only dvi ?

the large cd that is 700+ MB has all the packages on it i think. i always use the smallest one and just download the packages. ( i have a package cache on my file server so its fast)

i dont use k3b, cdrecord. if the cd were bad or wrong, you would not get this far :)

matt