i assume you ran ybin -v after you changed yaboot.conf ?

I did not. Is this required with yaboot? If it is it's my mistake
totally. It's not required with grub which is what I'm used to using
on x86 machines.

an x86 machine is legacy junk that uses a DOS boot system, not open firmware.

I can see that running ybin -v has an impact on the bootstrap partition:

MacMini etc # ybin -v
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda2'...
ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto / dev/hda2... ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/ hda2...
ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda2...
ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
ybin: Blessing /dev/hda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...
MacMini etc #

I cannot reboot and try it right now as the machine is doing some
work. I'll try it later today and let you know how it goes. I suspect
this might fix it.

Once I get this done then I'll strip out a bunch of the leftover stuff
from the kernel config and try to slim stuff down a bit.

dont forget to save your working kernel in /boot and the entry in yaboot, that way if you mess up you can go back. i also put the config with the kernel too.

Thanks for all your help!

np :)

matt