Hi,

In fact, permissions are correct for the user. Any other application can play using dsp and mixer.
Running realplayer as root doesn't solve the problem...

But, thanks for your answers.

LB

Bryn Reeves wrote:

Louis-Benoit JOURDAIN wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to install realplayer a hundred times and once the installation has finished, I always get the error message: "cannot open the audio device, an application may be using it"

Everything else works with my sound settings. I'm using the OSS drivers (no alsa).

A truss shows that realplayer is trying to open a big number of times /dev/sound/mixer and succeeds each time.

Anyone encountered this problem and has a solution?

Thanks,

LB

Apologies for answering directly - am at work and don't have this address registered for GUML. Feel free to forward this back to the list if it's useful.

Trivial thought, but have you checked the permissions on /dev/sound/dsp
and /dev/sound/mixer?

Realplayer will probably only want read access to the mixer initially
but will definitely need to write /dev/sound/dsp in order to make any
sounds.

The normal way to handle this I think is to have the system assign
ownership of these devices to the user currently logged into the
physical console. On redhat, suse etc. this is handled automatically by
the display manager. Not too sure how to do this in gentoo but maybe
someone else on the list knows?

For now, to see if this is what's causing your problem, pop a root
console and type
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# chown USER /dev/sound/dsp /dev/sound/mixer

Where USER is the username of the account you'd like to run realplayer
from then see if it works.

You could also just run realplayer as root to see if it is permission
related (although not a good idea for everyday use! ;-).

Hth

Cheers

Bryn

-- Louis-Benoit JOURDAIN Sun Microsystems / iPlanet [EMAIL PROTECTED] SunONE Product Technical Support http://wwws.sun.com/software/products/messaging_srvr/home_messaging.html