Hi Stephen,

Am Samstag, 23. August 2003 18:09 schrieb Stephen Liu:

> The RAID-0 box is for test purpose.  The RAID controller needs a
> driver to run but it works for Windows only.  There is no driver
> for Linux therefore Redhat can't see a single drive but 2 drives
> instead.

I have a Promise and a Highpoint "BIOS controlled software RAID"
controller, indeed, there are ataraid modules for these
controllers, but they only provide _additional_ devices for the
arrays defined in the BIOS. IIRC, the ataraid modules map the BIOS
settings to the md modules to be compatible with the windows
drivers. So you really should disable the raid features of the
controller and use the md modules directly. Then you have the
advantage of being able to have a raid only on some partitions and
not the whole disk.

> On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 15:54, Kai Lindenberg wrote:
> - snip -
>
> > > # gentoo doataraid
> > >
> > > Connection of hard drives
> > > PCI RAID controller - z-cyber,0,1,0+1
> >
> > you know that this is not a "real" RAID controller? You only
> > need to use ataraid when you want to stay compatible with the
> > windows drivers, otherwise you should use md directly.
>
> Sorry I have no idea about a "real" RAID controller.  I know some
> thing about software RAID on Redhat but not software RAID on
> Windows.  How to distinguish whether it a "real RAID controller
> or not?

"Real" RAID controllers are hardware RAID controllers that do all
the RAID things alone and independently of the operating system,
that means without a RAID driver. Of course you still need drivers
to access the hardware. At university we use 3ware hardware RAID
controllers without any problems with linux.

> > > The controller is detected by the bios of motherboard.  Win2K
> > > was working on it without problem.  A single hard drive of (2
> > > x hard drive) capacity was seen by Win2K
> >
> > I don't know if the kernel on the boot cd supports md, but you
> > should have a look at the "Software-RAID-HOWTO".
>
> Is there a ""Software-RAID-HOWTO" in Gentoo or just the same as
> Redhat

there is en ebuild called app-doc/howto-text, this contains some
RAID howtos (Software RAID, Root RAID, ATARAID), have a look at
this.

Kai