On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 07:07:35PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote

> Having listened to said usability experts and found that all the
> software that I like completely breaks at least five of their seven
> heuristics, I wouldn't be inclined to take them too seriously... Their
> main premise seems to be that "learning is bad". And if you don't want
> to learn, you're using the wrong distribution...

  Agree 100% there.  My complaint about "user-friendly" software is that
it does *NOT* bring new users up the speed of a veteran.  Instead, it
slows down veteran users to the speed of a newbie.  The best analogy is
the comparison between bicycles and tricycles.  Tricycles are much
easier for a new user whose never seen either a bicycle or a tricycle
before.  You're much less likely to fall over.  Now imagine a policy
that no-one could ride bicycles, but that everybody must ride tricycles.

  This probably gives away my age, and many people won't get it, but
here's a description of how "user-friendly software" works.

And dee  first menu is connected to dee second menu
And dee second menu is connected to dee  third menu
And dee  third menu is connected to dee fourth menu
etc, etc...

  This message being composed in an 80 x 48 text-console, using vim as
the text-editor invoked by mutt.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will