Jarry wrote:
Hi,

I'm installing Gentoo 2005.0 using universal installation CD
on a small, general purpose server (apache+mysql+php, mail,
some net-games, teamspeak, ftp, shells, 20-30 users, etc.).

Up to now I always used ext2, but now I want to try some
journaling fs for my 2x160GB ata-disks, fully in raid1
(partitions: / /boot /var /tmp /usr /opt /home and swap).

But even after reading of 2005.0-handbook, I have no idea
which fs could be best for me. I tried to find some comparisons,
but results are ambiguous. Could you give me some recommendation?
I'd like to hear opinions especially from those who have
personal experience with various fs...

Thanks,
Jarry

Hi,

I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to file systems, but I can give my recommendations. Surely though, you'll get better ones from more qualified people out there :)

Anyways, I've had experiences with ext3, ReiserFS and XFS. I prefer XFS for volumes where I have all the ISOs and stuff.. basically large files. Ext3 on basically everyother volume except /boot. I used to have ReiserFS, but somehow the performance usually started going down after a few weeks... dunno why. Having said that, we have power failures fairly regularly and Ext3 has been rocksolid after a power failure... always.

Anyways, I can see fire-eyes recommending ReiserFS there... Well, like he/she said, its a matter of personal opinion.

HTH,
Mrugesh Karnik