On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 13:08 +1000, Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
> Hi, I have a decent desktop with gentoo, and an old and slow
> Pentium-266Mhz notebook, where I would like to install Gentoo.
>
> Can anyone suggest me how to use my fast processor to do the
> installation, perhaps mounting a drive using NFS and doing a chroot,

thats one way...

>  so
> the installation does not take a whole month? I'm concerned that if I
> follow the guidelines for the installation like this, the packages might
> be compiled for the current processor (athlon) instead of the old
> pentium (586),

just make sure make.conf has the right CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

>  or pick some hardware features from the new machine and
> install binaries that will finally not work.

One of the things that continues to amaze windoze people is how I can
take my generic x86 linux hard drive (with my generic kernel!) and put
in in any pc and it will run (after getting around any grub issues).
I've ruined windows hard drives by trying to do the same thing...

anyway I digress.  The point is if you select the right options, you
should be fine. (including making the kernel for the right arch).

The other way of doing it is distcc.  You set your desktop up as a
distcc server, and install it on your laptop.
customise /etc/distcc/hosts, something like

desktop/2 localhost/1

or whatever the syntax is, and distcc will compile first on the desktop,
and then on your laptop.  (also look at MAKEOPTS="-j3", and
FEATURES="distcc" I think in make.conf).

This may be slower than your first suggestion, as ./configure scripts
and so on will still run locally.  Depends on your network, etc.

There are pointer to distcc in the gentoo install guide.  Hopefully this
gives you a starter.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>