On 13/06/05, Kevin O'Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's been about 9 months now that Java 1.5 has been an official release from
> Sun
> and I see no ebuilds, masked or not.  I'm going to be teaching this
> puppy starting
> in September, and I need to start using it.  This raises two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a simple way to install the current release without damaging the
>    ebuild-installed ones I have, or should I just blunder ahead and mangle my
>    own PATH and such in .bashrc_local (or whereever -- this is a
> one-user machine).
>
> 2) Better yet, is there a way to integrate such a release with
> java-config.  I took
>    a very brief look at the Python, and java-config is just cryptic
> and undocumented
>    enough for me to prefer to *not* learn it well enough to answer this
> myself.

The JDK/JRE ebuilds are in the tree for a very long time, if you
haven't noticed, :)

The JDK is masked. Many of the old ebuilds won't build with the new
JDK as their build scripts don't specify -source and -target and the
new JDK assumes they are 1.5 and spits out a hell lot of errors.

If this doesn't apply to you, you can probably unmask the new ebuild
and install it.

The JRE, is recently unmasked and, I believe, is safe to use, despite
the fact that you can only run byte codes compiled elsewhere.

The people in the java herd are trying their best to resolve this
issue for you and for many of us. For the time being, my working
solution is:

Unmask 1.5 JDK and install it, install another 1.4 alongside with it.
Switch to the 1.4 when you need to build a java ebuild. Switch back to
the 1.5.

BTW, is there something terribly fancy in 1.5 that you are so desperate to use?

HTH.

-- Joe

--
Money can't buy everything.