Colin wrote:

>On 6/13/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Colin wrote:
>>

>>>Okay, I tried that. No dice. I tried removing all occurences of
>>>/boot in case it didn't like symlinks, but that didn't work either.
>>>

>>Well, I didn't expect to find any 'dice' here.....maybe some error
>>output or at least a better description (command failed, same reboot
>>problem, ...?) ;->
>>

>No dice = no luck.  It's not a very common phrase, at least not where I live.

Actually, I got the reference...I was just being a bit condescending
about the lack of information in that phrase.  Forgive me.

>Anyway, the same problem is still here.  When the BIOS gives GRUB
>control, it shows a message that it's loading stage 1.5.  And then,
>almost instantly, the system reboots.  I don't know if stage 1.5 loads
>or not.  I don't suppose there's a way to recompile it to show
>debugging output?

Well, the "loading stage 1.5" message comes *from* the stage 1.5, and I
think it is pretty much impossible for that to fail to load since it is
embedded in the space between the MBR and the first partition and block
mapped.

More likely is that grub gets confused trying to talk to the RAID BIOS,
and either cannot decipher the ext2 filesystem to find the stage2, or
loads what it thinks is the stage2 but turns out to be garbage that
causes the reboot.

One remaining possiblity here: try renaming /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 to
e2fs_stage1_5.sav.  Then run:

# grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

The setup command should show '"e2fs_stage1_5" exists...no'.  But the
install command should still show "succeeded" at the end.  If that all
looks good, try rebooting.

-Richard