Joseph wrote:
[snip]

I'm on gentoo-sources 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 it makes no difference. So I either get a kernel panic or kdebase-3.4.1-r1 fails.

I think kdebase-3.4.1 should be masked as unstable. I was googling and noticed that a lot of people have similar problem, but no solution.

Mask kde because building it triggers a kernel bug?  I think not.
It's probably related to your hardware and/or kernel config.  Is it
happening with split ebuilds too?  Is there anything interesting in
the output of dmesg or /var/log/messages leading up to this?

Zac

I wasn't thinking about masking KDE but gcc-3.4.1 on AMD64 platform and
make stable 3.3 version.  I run onto one posting claiming that there is
some kind of bug in gcc-3.4.1 (and this version is the only stable
version on AMD64.

If I knew I'm going to have so much problem with AMD64, I would have
gone with x86.
So WARNING to everybody: A8V + Sata Drive + AMD64 3000 = DISASTER (for
now).

I have two other boxes running Gentoo on x86 and they are rock solid.
If any kind of problem pops-up I can solve it withing an hour or faster.
But these two problem on AMD64 turned this machine to a piece of junk
(suitable only for Windows).

Split KDE-ebuild is effected as well.
I couldn't find anything in dmesg, what might be causing it.  If it was
a kernel configuration I would imaging somebody would discover it, but
there are only suggestion that don't work.  It most likely some bug in
some kind of kernel driver pertaining to Sata Drive or AMD64

Maybe you should try gcc-3.4.4?  You could go with a 32-bit userland until the
problem is resolved.  You can do that with a 64-bit kernel if you have IA32
emulation enabled (hopefully you won't encounter the same bug).

Zac