On 05/22/2010 01:46 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 05/22/2010 12:34 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.

sure?

Never mind, found the problem after googling a lot:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2010-January/023768.html

PA does not work without ConsoleKit, yet the ebuild did not pull CK as a
dep :-/  Will file a bug about it.

As for the results, it's pretty much as I expected: latency cannot
compete with OSS4's vmix.  But it isn't worse than stand-alone ALSA+dmix
though, which is surprising.

Another problem: Amarok 2 stopped working.  That is, it loads OK, but
there's no sound at all when playing something with the Xine backend.
The Gstreamer backend works, but (as always) sound quality sucks (pops
and crackles).  Any way to get Phonon-Xine to work with PA?  I tried to
set "audio.driver:alsa" in ~/.xine/config, but to no avail; still no sound.

yeah, with that set it tries to use alsa, not PA.

"audio.driver:pulse" also doesn't work :-/

Why again are you wasting your time with PA?

Because people claim ALSA+Pulse is better than OSS4. So I ought to actually try it "with a correct setup, unlike the broken Ubuntu setup", or else everyone will keep saying I don't know what I'm talking about.