100809 Robert Bridge wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There have been discussions on this list why sudo is a bad idea
>> and sudo on *any* command is an even worse idea.
>> You might as well be running everything as root, right?
> sudo normally logs the command executed and the account which executes it,
> so while not relevant for single user systems,
> it STILL has benefits over running as root.

I follow  2  simple rules:
(1) never start X as root -- I open in a raw terminal, then 'startx',
so it's ok to login there as root to get some system fixes done,
but of course logout again before starting X as user --
& (2) do all system stuff in a virtual root terminal on its own desktop,
where the prompt says 'root' in red letters & the background is black
(my user terminal has a white background): that's down in the basement,
where all the pipes & wires are & you need a hard hat & safety boots
& you need to unlock the basement door, whose key is the root password.

also, my user terminal says :

  524: gx> which sudo
  which: no sudo in
(/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin::/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/kde/3.5/bin)

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca